"If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32
1. In the Bible freedom always means the liberty to obey God. It is the freedom to know God's will and to do it. Biblical freedom is therefore within the safe boundaries of the Law of God.
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in Heaven."
Matthew 7:21 (John 8:32; Romans 8:2; Genesis 1:28.)
2. To the Christian, freedom is more of a responsibility than a right. This would involve doing unto others what we would want done to us.
"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire Law is summed up in a single command. 'Love your neighbour as yourself.'"
Galatians 5:13-14 (1 Corinthians 8:9.)
3. We are warned to beware of those who promise freedom but are themselves slaves of depravity. In the Bible, God forbids state interference outside of the realms of national defense, law and order and justice. For example: The Word of God forbids any taxation over 10% and excludes the taxation of property and inheritance.
"They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him."
2 Peter 2:19 (John 8:34; Acts 8:23; Romans 6:16; 1 Samuel 8:15-18; 1 Kings 21:3.)
4. True freedom can only come where Jesus Christ is obeyed as Lord.
"Now the Lord is Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."
2 Corinthians 3:17.
5. Freedom has to be based upon and in accordance with the Ten Commandments. Adherence to God's perfect Law of Liberty, the Ten Commandments would ensure true religious freedom - freedom to worship and serve the only true God, the Creator and sovereign Lord of the universe - the only source of freedom. And it would protect worship, speech, time, families, life, love, morality, property, truth, reputation and conscience.
"The Law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple."
Psalm 19:7 (Exodus 20:3-17.)
6. It is not acceptable to justify evil in the name of freedom. There can be no freedom for blasphemy, perversion, sodomy, cruelty to animals, rape and child abuse (such as occurs in Satanism) in any civilised country. Nor can the murder of human life in the womb (abortion) or the exploitation of women's bodies for profit (pornography and/or prostitution) be tolerated. We affirm the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death.
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."
Galatians 5:1 (Proverbs 6:16-19; Colossians 3:5-10.)
7. Religious freedom must include freedom for parents to educate their children according to the Bible - whether through state schools, independent Christian schools or home schooling.
"Fathers, do not exasperate your children, instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."
Ephesians 6:4 (Deuteronomy 6:1-7; Matthew 28:19-20; 2 Timothy 3:16; Colossians 2:8.)
8. Religious freedom must include the freedom to proclaim the God of the Bible to be the only true and living God, and to objectively point out the errors in other religions.
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"
John 14:6 (Acts 4:12; 1 Tim 2:4, 5; Deuteronomy 30; 1 Kings 18:21.)
9. Any attempt by the state to register or regulate churches, missions or Christian organisations such as radio ministries would be an intolerable breach of religious freedom. Any proposals to establish a department of religious affairs or the taxation of Christian ministries must therefore be rejected as unacceptable interference by the state in religious matters and as a step towards state control of the Church.
"Peter and the other apostles replied: 'We must obey God rather than men!'"
Acts 5:29 (1 Peter 2:13-16; Ezra 7:23-24.)
10. True freedom comes from within. The foundation for a truly free nation can only be laid in characters, hearts, minds, lives and families changed by the Grace of God.
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, His good, pleasing and perfect will."
Romans 12:2 (Proverbs 16:32; Matthew 15:19; Psalm 1; Ezekiel 36:26; John 3:3.)
For more articles on God and Government and for the South African Biblical Issues Voters Guide, visit: www.SAvotersguide.com.
Combo specials: Biblical Principles for Africa book and Biblical Worldview Summit 2011 MP3 Set (42 lectures two MP3 CDs) - R140.
The Power of Prayer Handbook and South Africa for Christ MP3 Set (37 lectures on two MP3 CDs) - R120.
Order through: Christian Liberty Books: email@example.com, Tel/Fax: (021) 689-7478 or order online: www.christianlibertybooks.co.za.
Africa Christian Action
PO Box 23632
7735 Cape Town
Tel: 021-689 4481